HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » NWCorona » Journal
Page: 1 2 3 4 Next »

NWCorona

Profile Information

Member since: Tue Feb 16, 2016, 04:01 PM
Number of posts: 8,541

Journal Archives

Fiat Chrysler ending car production in U.S.

Source: USA Today

The company may be called Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, but by early next year, it won't be making automobiles in the U.S. Instead, Fiat Chrysler's U.S. plants will be focusing entirely on pickups and SUVs for the Ram and Jeep brands

Fiat Chrysler is winding down production of the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart and will primarily produce Jeep SUVs and Ram pickups in the U.S. The company's remaining car models will be made in Mexico, Canada or other foreign nations.

Ending passenger car production in the U.S. is part of CEO Sergio Marchionne's multibillion-dollar plan to increase profit margins to match competitors. It's a bet that recognizes the growing popularity of SUVs in America, low gas prices and lower cost of producing vehicles in Mexico.

"By the time we finish with this, hopefully, all of our production assets in the United States — if you exclude Canada and Mexico from the fold — all those U.S. plants will be producing either Jeeps or Ram," Marchionne said Wednesday during a conference call with Wall Street analysts after the automaker reported second-quarter earnings.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/07/28/fiat-chrysler-ending-car-production-us/87649136/?fb_action_ids=10106626719527878&fb_action_types=og.comments



As a car guy. This is sad stuff.

Erdogan wants army under president's control after coup: Turkish official

Source: Reuters

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan wants the armed forces and national intelligence agency brought under the control of the presidency, a parliamentary official said on Thursday, part of a major overhaul of the military after a failed coup.

Erdogan's comments came after a five-hour meeting of Turkey's Supreme Military Council (YAS) - chaired by Prime Minister Binali Yildirim and including the top brass - and the dishonorable discharge of nearly 1,700 military personnel over their alleged role in the abortive putsch on July 15-16.

Erdogan, who narrowly escaped capture and possible death on the night of the coup, told Reuters in an interview last week that the military, NATO's second biggest, needed "fresh blood". The dishonorable discharges included around 40 percent of Turkey's admirals and generals.

Turkey accuses U.S.-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen of masterminding the coup and has suspended or placed under investigation tens of thousands of his suspected followers, including soldiers, judges and academics

Read more: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN1081HT?il=0

Turkey officials to demand extradition of Fethullah Gülen from US

Source: The Guardian

Turkey’s foreign and justice ministers are due to travel to the US to demand the extradition of Fethullah Gülen, the US-based Turkish imam accused by the government of masterminding the abortive coup attempt that led to the deaths of 265 people and the dismissal of tens of thousands of public servants.

The Turkish justice minister Bekir Bozdag on Thursday accused Gülen of plotting the coup for decades, and said he would have returned to Turkey if the military plotters had not been thwarted. He had warned that Gülen, who has lived in rural Pennyslvania for years, could flee the US to seek political asylum to Australia, Mexico, Canada, South Africa or Egypt.

Turkish officials say they regard the evidence of Gülen complicity as overwhelming, and that any failure by the US to cooperate with the extradition will have long-term consequences for Turkish-US diplomatic relations.

Some Turkish media outlets have claimed a former US general John Campbell, who retired from the US-led military coalition in Afghanistan in May, planned the failed coup. The allegation has been rejected as absurd.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/28/turkey-fethullah-gulen-extradition-coup-attempt



I'm not so sure we will hand this guy over. Especially when threats are made.

Wisconsin girls lose appeal in Slender Man attack

Source: AP

A Wisconsin state appeals court ruled Wednesday that two girls accused of trying to kill their classmate in an attempt to please the fictional horror character Slender Man should be tried as adults.

The 2nd District Appeals court, in a pair of rulings, affirmed a lower court's determination that it was reasonable to try both girls as adults. The girls could appeal the rulings to the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

The girls were 12 years old in 2014 when investigators say they lured 12-year-old Payton Leutner to a park in Waukesha, about 20 miles west of Milwaukee. Authorities say the girls stabbed Payton 19 times in an attempted sacrifice to a fictitious horror character called Slender Man. Payton was left for dead but managed to crawl from a wooded area where she was discovered by a bicyclist.

The Associated Press hasn't identified the defendants because their cases could still move to juvenile court, where proceedings are closed.

Read more: http://bigstory.ap.org/f79132d6b7ba4075a5aca1c0aec9d2b3

Teacher who can't speak Spanish sues after failing to get Spanish teaching post

Source: The Guardian

A Florida teacher who speaks no Spanish is suing her employer for discrimination, after the school rejected her for a job that required teaching an hour of Spanish per day.

Third grade teacher Tracy Rosner filed a federal employment discrimination lawsuit against the Miami-Dade County School Board, claiming that her race – white – prevented her from getting the job.


After a decade of working at Coral Reef Elementary, Rosner requested last year to teach reading and language arts to students in the Extended Foreign Language (EFL) program, a track that allows students to learn a language other than English for an hour per day.

The school rejected her request because it requires that reading and language arts instructors of the EFL program speak Spanish, said the lawsuit.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/27/teacher-cant-speak-spanish-sues-failing-teaching-post

F.C.C. Backs Swedish Company to Run American Phone Routing System

Source: NYT

WASHINGTON — The Federal Communications Commission has decided to make a European-owned company the clearinghouse for routing billions of cellphone calls and text messages across the United States, despite claims by critics that the plan poses national security risks, officials said on Thursday.

The F.C.C.’s approval, which has not been publicly announced, will give a New Jersey subsidiary of Ericsson, the Swedish technology giant, the obscure but critical job of operating a sprawling national system to track and route wireless calls and texts among hundreds of service providers.

The routing system began in the 1990s as a way for people to keep their cellphone numbers when they switched carriers, but intelligence and law enforcement agencies have come to rely on it to track and trace phone numbers in investigations.

The contract, worth as much as a billion dollars over seven years, has been held since 1997 by a small Virginia company, Neustar. As part of an intense bidding process, the Ericsson subsidiary, Telcordia, told the F.C.C. it could do the work much more cheaply than Neustar, and it earned the backing of many large carriers.

Read more: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/22/business/fcc-backs-swedish-company-to-run-american-phone-routing-system.html?_r=0&referer=

Woman gets the best revenge on the milk stealer at work

?preset=374-210

http://www.11alive.com/mb/news/woman-gets-the-best-revenge-on-the-milk-stealer-at-work/279152122

I guess revenge is best served cold lol!

You ask first. It's proper manners

Verizon to disconnect unlimited data customers who use over 100GB/month

Source: Arstechnica

Verizon Wireless customers who have held on to unlimited data plans and use significantly more than 100GB a month will be disconnected from the network on August 31 unless they agree to move to limited data packages that require payment of overage fees.

Verizon stopped offering unlimited data to new smartphone customers a few years ago, but some customers have been able to hang on to the old plans instead of switching to ones with monthly data limits. Verizon has tried to convert the holdouts by raising the price $20 a month and occasionally throttling heavy users but stopped that practice after net neutrality rules took effect. Now Verizon is implementing a formal policy for disconnecting the heaviest users.


"Because our network is a shared resource and we need to ensure all customers have a great mobile experience with Verizon, we are notifying a very small group of customers on unlimited plans who use an extraordinary amount of data that they must move to one of the new Verizon Plans by August 31, 2016," a Verizon spokesperson told Ars. "These users are using data amounts well in excess of our largest plan size (100GB). While the Verizon Plan at 100GB is designed to be shared across multiple users, each line receiving notification to move to the new Verizon Plan is using well in excess of that on a single device."

The 100GB plan costs $450 a month.

Read more: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/07/verizon-to-disconnect-unlimited-data-customers-who-use-over-100gbmonth/



$450 is fucking ridiculous! Period.

APNewsBreak: 2 Vermont DNC delegates replaced due to gender

Source: AP

A complaint to the Democratic National Convention says two male Vermont delegates were replaced by women in the name of “gender balance” and without adequate due process.

The complaint, filed by 21 Vermont Democrats, says the national party this month ordered the state party to replace Vermont Sen. Tim Ashe and party stalwart Ken Dean although Dean and Ashe were elected June 11.

Dean, Ashe and their female replacements support Sen. Bernie Sanders over presumptive presidential nominee Hillary Clinton

Read more: http://wtop.com/elections/2016/07/apnewsbreak-2-vermont-dnc-delegates-replaced-due-to-gender/

UK nuclear submarine damaged in 'glancing collision'

Source: CNN

A nuclear submarine was damaged Wednesday after it was involved in a "glancing collision" with a merchant vessel, the UK Ministry of Defense said in a statement.

The sub suffered external damage, but "there is absolutely no damage to her nuclear plant," authorities said. No one was injured and the merchant vessel was not damaged, according to initial reports.

The collision between HMS Ambush, an Astute-class submarine, and the other ship happened while the submarine was submerged and conducting a training exercise.

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/21/europe/uk-nuclear-submarine-collision/index.html



A new low for the British Navy.

We are playing a dangerous game with our oceans.
Go to Page: 1 2 3 4 Next »